Thursday 14 May 2015

Wrap Over Baby Shoe


I think I mentioned that I was going a bit baby shoe crazy. Here is a second shoe design. I have been dithering about a name, as it would be nice to come up with something northern like my Tundra Shoe pattern. Everything I think of seems to have been already used. For now it is the Wrap Over Baby Shoe, but if I would welcome any better suggestions. 

This time my pattern comes with two sizes (newborn-3 months and 3-6 months). Once again I have tried to keep the knitting simple. The shoes are made with doubleknit wool, and I think the simple shape just emphasises the loveliness of the wool.
 

There are only two pieces to knit, and once again the shaping of the top piece uses short rows. You can see my tutorial for this technique here.


I have tried to find fluffy doubleknit wools for my samples. I think this gives them such a cosy look, as if they are felted. The brown shoes below have alpaca in the wool, so are lovely and soft. 

Some of these shoes are going to be gifts, though I have now put a few for sale in my Etsy Shop.


If you do make some of these I think that it is really important to find some lovely buttons. The button flap is functional, so you can really easily put the babies feet in. I wanted my buttons to look natural, so opted for wood or mother of pearl. What I really wanted to find was a tiny wooden toggle, but as yet could only find really enormous ones which just looked ridiculous.


So baby shoes are done for now, and I may finally have reached that time when I face a baby garment! 

36 comments:

  1. They all look so cute and lovely and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!!! And soooo very nice for a little boy! Most times all cute stuff is for girls:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever!
    I imagine when little ones wear these, the buttons would look a little like eyes...perhaps a name could have something to do with a cute little creature native to your area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have nieces getting ready to have babies so I would love to find these in your Etsy shop, since I don't knit myself. They remind me of clogs for some reason, maybe Knit Clogs for a name. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What stylish and colourful baby shoes you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! And so cozy, too. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! I'm sure the lucky recipients of these gifts will be thrilled. I couldn't come up with a name, but my first impression was that the booties would hug a baby's toes. Maybe they're toe huggers!
    My Saturday Snapshot post features a visit to the Pompeii exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so beautiful! Love the colours and the button on them. Very charming, fit for a royal baby. Now that's an idea... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Going to put them in my shop tomorrow. It is a bit of a battle to get on the computer in my house these days.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I just love these shoes! I wish they were in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful idea. I will have to show this to my wife as she loves to knit and is always looking for ideas.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  12. They seem like baby Eskimo shoes. or the kind of shoes baby North Pole Elves would wear. :) super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to make these for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, I too was going to say elf or sprite shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable little shoes! Great yarn choices, and I love the wooden buttons! Thanks for sharing at the Submarine Sunday Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are the cutest little booties! I think the buttons really are the perfect embellishment, too! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are just so cute! Wonderfully practical too with being nice and warm and easy to remove, i can see them flying off the shelves :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously, You make THE BEST BOOTIES! - So, as for Names... how's about "FOOT-FROGGIES" or "TOE-TOADIES"? - It's just that when I look at them, I envision colourful plump fuzzy one-eyed frogs... Albeit, CUTE ones!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another set of adorable booties, I like this style even better :) the multi toned yarn is very pretty. I agree with above comments, they are a lovely simple design, but also practical and cosy too xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful little shoes! How about names like 'Heather' (as in the heather bushes) or Beach pebble. I adore your choice of wood and mother of pearl buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are really cute and I love the different colours you've made them in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are just gorgeous, an adult size pair would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello :) Thanks so much for sharing another great yarny creation with us! I love these adorable little shoes - I added them to my "When I Learn to Knit" board. I also chose them as one of my EyeLoveKnots Yarn Favorites, and featured in this week's party.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com
    #38: http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/05/yarn-fanatic-party-38-string-theory.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww! They are so cute!

    Maria @ http://kiwiriaknits.blogspot.dk/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww, how cute. They look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another wonderful project! thanks for sharing on craft schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete