Saturday 3 August 2013

52 Week Scrap Challenge


I've decided to join in on the 52 Week Scrap Challenge, which I found on And Sew We Craft Together. It is going to have an idea each week for something to sew out of scraps; and I think all sewers have box of scrap material left over from other projects. Not promising to join in every week, but it seems like a really nice idea and way to share, as there is a linky page to post your finished sewing on.

My other reason is that I have just committed myself to three Christmas craft fairs (sorry to mention that word so early). I know once I'm back at school time will be really limited, so I thought if I could make a few Christmas decorations I will feel that I at least will have something for my stall.

I didn't completely follow the instructions on Samilia's Mum. Most of my scraps seemed to be in long strips, so I sewed these on to a piece of fleece, and then used this to make the hearts.


I particularly like the lime green material, as this was a bit of the shirt that my husband wore when we got married.

I also sewed the hearts wrong side out, and then turned them. This probably made it more work. My other recommendation is to make the ribbon or cord for the tie longer than you think. This makes your decorations much easier to hang. 


I really like them and am going to make a few more in some sparkly white material I have, with a mix of blues.  Looking forward to seeing what next week's challenge will be.





8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I think I'll join in as well.
    Your hearts look very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your scrappy hearts done for decorations.... and a lovely idea to put some sentimentality into them with the shirt fabric.... I'm popping over from the linky at Samelia's mum...

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful Hearts you have made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G. I just signed up. Thanks for letting me know about it. I need practice in some skills so thought this is a disciplined way to get it. I'd better get started, I see they just put the 2nd project up! Eeeek!
    Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hearts look lovely. I thought of sewing then turning them through but - it was just a thought. Lovely colours in yours.

    ReplyDelete