I have finished my Baboon Pattern, and placed it on ravelry. It has been a bit of a slog, but three baboons later I have the final version. The nose was lengthened and then shortened. The shoulders were made narrower. The neck thicker. Ears added. I could continue ....
Then off down the garden for the photoshoot. I do think my neighbours may genuinely think I'm a bit mad. "She's arranging woolly things in her trees again!"
This pattern has been a real learning experience for me. I am happy with the final result, but this toy is not an easy knit. Well actually that isn't true. The knitting is really quite straight forward, but it is the construction that is tricky. The pattern has photographs and diagrams to help. The head is made of five different panels. I really had to try to balance keeping it simple, but also getting the end result right.
If anyone does knit him I would love to see your finished baboon. Although any double knit wool would work, I do love this Sirdar Escape DK, and the variation in colour makes it perfect. I found some for sale at Black Sheep Wools.
I'm have put these two baboons in my Etsy Shop for non-knitters.