Wednesday 19 September 2012

Yarn Along and Mystery Knit

Although I quite often link to the Yarn Along, I have to admit that it is not often that I have actually read a book. I don't know why, because I used to read a lot. Somehow these days as soon as I hit the bed I fall fast asleep. Perhaps I need to try to fit reading in earlier in the day.


So I am rather pleased to be able to link with an actual book, and a work in progress. The Girl at the Lion D'Or is a lovely book, set between the wars in a small town in France. The rather mysterious Anne arrives from Paris, to take up her post at the rundown local hotel, and eventually begins an affair with Hartmann, a married man. Throughout the story Anne's secret past is revealed, and I think the book is partly a tragic love story, but also about French history, life in a small town, and resilience of spirit. I would recommend it, and may now attempt to read the much more well known Birdsong. It also reminded me of being in my early twenties, as I did spend a summer working in a hotel (although disappointingly I didn't have an affair with anyone).

With a lot of patterns, I think of the basic idea, and the knitting just trips off my needles. But my current project is causing me headaches. These are just a few of my prototypes, and I have half a dozen more in my knitting bag. I am slowly getting closer to how I would like it to look. I would be very surprised if you can tell what they are meant to be. I would be delighted if you want to have a guess. (A clue might be that I think anyone in the USA on the Pacific coast or Oz might have an idea, and I wouldn't even try if you live in the UK.) Also the colour is not right, I just have a lot of spare white wool which I am using up.

9 comments:

  1. You got me really puzzled when you said don't try guessing if you live in the UK. I'll give it a try anyway :) Are they tree baubles , ear muff covers, wooly snowballs ? Your comment about not having an affair made me smile, it sounds like a lovely book. Thanks for sharing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 10 year old daughter says they look like the Southern Cross! I was wondering if they will become sea stars on a stone?
    p.s. Don't worry about deleting my previous comment, obviously I haven't taken offence!!!!!!! : -)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you making a bee keeper's quilt? They look slightly hexagonal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel about not being able to read. I do the same thing, go to bed with a book but as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm asleep...I think that's probably due to getting up too early and going to bed much too late! But my husband can read until 2 or 3am and wake up fresh as a daisy the next day!

    I love The Girl at the Lion D'or ...basically because I love France.

    Ooh, intriguing project! I have no idea what they are but I'm in the UK. Hope it doesn't cause any more headaches.

    Happy knitting,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some sort of sea creature?

    I have the self-same problem with Yarn Along, either I haven't read anything new or I haven't knitted anything new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like sand dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Anonymous! You are right. I had not even heard of sand dollars, but was asked if I could design a sand dollar Christmas decoration. Very nearly there, just testing my pattern.

    ReplyDelete