Wednesday 15 August 2012

Kid's Craft - Dragonflies - Learning to Twist and Wind


This is often the first project I do with my craft club.  It seems very simple, but to make a dragonfly, requires quite a lot of skills: careful cutting, threading, twisting, winding, measuring, tying knots. I found it a really good way to assess the skills of the children.  (My knitted dragonfly pattern came out of this project.) I also like this project, because everyone has something to take home at the end. That is really important when you are little.

So first of all this is what you need:

Some beads that will thread on to a pipecleaner
Dragonfly wings printed on acetate or paper



Scissors and elastic thread (optional

Pipe cleaners
Selection of wool

The first job is to cut out your dragonfly's wings. This needs to be done really carefully. Cut between the upper and lower wings, but it really important to not cut through the central section that holds the 4 wings together. Print a few extra wings, just in case you need them.




Next take a pipe cleaner and fold it in half.


Thread two beads onto the pipe cleaner, and push these down to the fold. These are your dragonfly's eyes. We picked beads that were the same, but I guess you don't have to. My daughter later decided to draw on her beads with a permanent felt tip, but that was just her own idea.


Then twist the pipe cleaners round a few times to hold the eyes in place. This step may seem very simple to a grown-up, but you may need to show a child exactly how to hold the head firmly in one hand and twist with the other.















Now you have made the head.



Next slip the wings between each side of the pipe cleaners. Make sure you have them the right way round.


Start twisting the two halves of the pipe cleaner again as firmly as you can, to make the rest of the body.


Now you have your basic dragonfly, but he looks a bit thin. The next stage I call chubbying him out.  Cut off a length of wool, and tie one end to your dragonfly. Now you need to do the winding. Winding around the wings can be a bit tricky. The great thing is nothing at this stage is wrong. Dragonflies come in a huge variety of colours. It does not matter if he ends up fat or thin. You might want to thread some extra beads onto your dragonfly's body.


One way to join in another colour is to knot your wool together.





If you are clever you can wind two pieces of wool at the same time.


You may need to help a child with fastening off the wool, as this is a bit tricky.

With little children you may also need to help them fix the elastic to their dragonfly. I have a really big blunt needle, which some children could manage. Try to find the balance point, which will vary a bit depending on the beads you have used, and the wool. If you haven't got elastic you can use piece of wool to hang up your dragonflies.


What is lovely is that no two dragonflies will look the same.


Try and get you little crafters to help tidy up. Not always easy, but another important skill to learn.


We decided to tie our dragonflies around the garden umbrella, and my cat was definitely interested in them.



To download the dragonfly wings right click on the image below. I tried to put in a button that you just click and it downloads but in my usual technaphobe way, I had a bit of trouble with this. If anyone knows an easy way to do this I would love to know. The other place you can get the wings is on my dragonfly knitting pattern on ravelry.

The wings should be an A4 sheet and approx 14cm wide. If you decide to print them on acetate be very careful to check you have the right type for your printer or photocopier. Printing them onto paper or thin card can work well too.

Happy crafting!




30 comments:

  1. what a great project. i love it. we have this old projector paper (you know from back in school before power point) i wonder if it would work for the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome project!! I am definitely saving this as an idea to do with my summer camp kids, as my cabin name is always the dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute project. Good idea to do the wings that way. Initially I thought you were weaving them from thin wire into the wing pattern and I was thinking, OMG these people are just incredible LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a really fun project and use for scrap yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! These look fantastic.

    And thank you for linking up to the And Sew We Craft Together linky party

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute project.Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am visiting for the first time and love the look of your little knitted insects, the butterflies are beautiful! The dragonfly craft is great aswell, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great little project. We might have to try that out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's wonderful! I'm sure a certain small person in my house would love to make one or two, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dragonflies are beautiful!! I love that little hands can create something so beautiful!! Just posted on Craft Gossip!! Keep crafting!
    http://lessonplans.craftgossip.com/?p=6780

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are gorgeous and what a neat project. You won my handmade brooch giveaway - but I don't have an email for you. Please flick me an email (on my blogger profile) so I can get your address :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so neat! I love your photos and the idea behind it to help children build dexterity. Such a cute craft! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day! http://www.mymerrymessylife.com/2012/08/hookin-on-hump-day-10-link-party-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dragonflies are gorgeous - now I need to find some children so I have an excuse to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous project and so lovely for little ones. I've used payloadz.com for downloads - you upload a file and then you can grab a button or link for people to download. I'm sure there are other ways, but payloadz is good (and if you have patterns you want to charge for, they link up with PayPal).

    ReplyDelete
  16. My children have done this before but I had forgotten about it. I thought at the time what a great craft it is and that hasn't changed. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet all the children were thrilled with their makes. They look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun project! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely project. A few of them would make a very fun mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely dragonflies. I can imagine them fluttering around in the breeze driving the cats crazy

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a fantastic project! especially for kids, a great tutorial to, thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Great instructions/photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Completely awesome! I have to share this one. Thank you for sharing the instructions. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ginny, I just love this dragonfly project. I plan on making it with my granddaughters! What a clever idea! ~Gin~

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a brilliant idea!I really want to have a go at these now.Love your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love these dragonflies. When my boys are a bit older, we'll have give this craft a try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, these are great!! We will definitely give this a try when we finally get around to making our dragonfly crafts. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are wonderful.
    We love dragonflies over our way too.
    We've made needle felted, sewn felt and seed pod dragonflies.
    I'd love you stop by and pop 'dragonflies' in the search, if you're interested.
    Thanks for sharing. The wing templates are fantastic! ღ

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is so timely. I'm searching for treasures the kids can make at our farmer's market. Thank you so much! My kids will be trying these at home this week. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete